Saturday, January 3, 2009

Choosing your battles

Well, the Maddie saga continues. I have gathered the troops and the battle begins.

This will be the first line of defense.....concrete and red pepper flakes. The act of picking out the right concrete was a battle in itself. Did you know they have concrete that expands, heavy duty concrete, fast drying concrete, concrete for thick walls, concrete for thin walls....you name it....you can get it. I had no idea. Then the act of mixing it was pretty comical. My first choice of an old piece of base board that I found in the garage didn't work out too well. 80 lbs of concrete verses a flimsy piece of wood doesn't get you very far. I had soupy concrete all over the place. Had to pour out some of the water....then it was too thick.....so had to add some water back in. I finally got it poured. Why do all of the little rocks stay at the bottom? Does this mean I didn't stir it long enough? I just scooped them out and spinkled them on top of the mixture....it looks like it worked out OK. It's not the prettiest job and I don't think I will be winning any masonry awards for the year, but at least it is done. Once the concrete pouring was complete, I sprinkled red pepper flakes along the fence and gate. Now we wait for 24 hours for the concrete to set and we will give it a try. Maddie will be let out without supervision into the back yard. We'll see if I win this battle. What will be interesting is to see who wins the war! : )

5 comments:

Enjoying the journey... said...

Good luck Leslie!!! (If all else fails, Maddie can come see Joshua!!!)

Laura said...

WOW! Concrete mixing?! I'm impressed! Hope you've finally contained Houdini!

Enjoying the journey... said...

Did it work??

Leslie said...

So far so good....although I haven't left her out all day yet...it has been cold and rainy....will give the full day a try tomorrow....

Unknown said...

It's been too long since I have read your blog! I can't believe that cutie pie Maddie (I always have loved her, even though I am NOT a dog person, otherwise!) has been causing you so much grief. I did laugh out loud at the citation...only because it made me think about us yelling at Kallie to shut up right before that ominous knock on the door...